Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Kwani Open Mic @ Club Soundd

Attended the kwani open mic today and I think I might have been converted to a Kwanism (not that that’s how they label themselves)

They hold an open mic session every first Tuesday of every month at Club Soundd on Standard Street. I have known this for a very long time but have put off attending for close to a year. Well I was there today better late than never.

The only thing that might have spoiled it for me was the cigarette smoke (I sat next to the bar....an area they seem to have designated for smokers and I didn't know it at the time) and the noise from conversation (well I also did my fair share of talking because I met an old college mate) that slowly drowned out the voices of the poets.

Well, if you attended or are in the habit of attending the Kwani Open Mics at club sound post me a comment. I need a few pointers on how to get into the whole Kwani community

That's all for today...have a lot of reading to catch up on...Purple Hibiscus and Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Adichie which were on a 2 for one offer at the event...another good reason why I think I will keep attending....

p.s. Just visited the kwani website www.kwani.org
and saw that the short story competition “THE KENYA WE HAVE” deadline had been extended…good thing…I tried meeting the previous deadline but gave up when my write up fell way short of the 2000 words minimum required. A real challenge for someone who hardly ever writes anything more than 100 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment