Saturday, April 4, 2009

DISCONNECT

A little 1960's style African Poetry.

MKOLONI

Nimejibu
Nimeuliza
Mkoloni
Ninini alilofikiria
Kuvunja kufuja
kufutilia
Hata lugha
Yote kupotea
Mila desturi
Fikira maudhui
Ukweli tuliojua
Uongo tumejivalisha
Koti Shati Tai
kwa ukoloni
twajidai

02/04/2009
James Adolwa


DISCONNECT

I am lost
I don’t speak the language
of my grandmother
Cut off
from those who should be my brothers
robbed of
what was most important to my forefathers

I speak the language
Worship a God
Listen to the music
Adhere to the culture of another
A stranger, a traveller, a sailor

Without wanting to
I act like; talk like
Think like this stranger
Not that it is he
I particularly admire…
It is just that
The only knowledge that I can acquire
Is the culture of this mad traveller.

James Adolwa
19/1/2002

No comments:

Post a Comment